Monday, September 23, 2013

DevDay 2013

I could not miss DevDay this year, mainly because of Jon Skeet. Master of answers on StackOverflow came to Cracow.

Overall, great event. Names appearing on conference every year are greater and greater. Organization and branding of DevDay was world class! Really love it. The "debugging crew" with it's two leaders have done excellent job regarding overall setup of the event.


Let's go straight to agenda of the event:

  • Opening speech - let's just say I will skip my thoughts about this part.
  • "Back to basics: the mess we've made of our fundamental data types" by Jon Skeet and Tony The Pony - it was the second time I have an opportunity to see Jon live. As I was expecting, it was great speech. Lot's of interesting information given in very light and funny way. In my opinion 6/6
  • "Implementing Continuous Delivery" by Patric Kua - it was a solid presentation. I was expecting to hear something more innovative in that matter, but it was rather summary of good practices in continuous delivery. In my opinion solid 5.
  • "SPA Made Breezy" by Tiberiu Covaci - I have a feeling that Tiberiu was trying to include too much content and he basically failed. After very short introduction to Breezy, he was trying to show how it will simplify SPA application code. Honestly, I was not very noticeable from the presentation. Plus, he did not managed to make this application running. Bummer. Overall 3/6
  • "Moving the Web to the client" by Hadi Hariri - Here, in opposite to the previous presentation, we had some quick (and working) overview over Angular.js and Wasabi framework based on JetBrains Kotlin language. First part of his speech was very interesting, second one, not necessary. Overall: 4/6
  • "Full-text search with Lucene and neat things you can do with it" by Itamar Syn-Hershko - Since I'm working with search engines, I was really interested in this speech. On the begging, Itamar showed basics of search engine data structures and algorithms. Later on, he focused on Elastic Search solution. It was pretty good, althoug I was counting on something more advanced. All the neat things he showed, are supported now by most of available search engines on the market. Overall 4/6
  • "The Architecture of StackOverflow" by Marco Cecconi - This speech was worth to wait for. For me, it was surprise that with such little hardware you can run StackOverflow! Plus, Marco said something very important. Right now, when everyone is moving to the cloud, because it's going to be fast and cheap and highly available (wait - no it's not), he is showing classic, hardware based architecture which is faster and cheaper (yes, it can be done). So, think twice, because, I'm moving to cloud because everyone is moving to cloud, might not be the best option. Second favorite speech 6/6
  • "The software journeyman's guide to being homeless and jobless." by Rob Ashton - I have to say, the best speech of DevDay 2013. Have to say, very inspiring. I was listening of Rob screaming over the venue, and at the end my main thought was "this guy is totally right!”. Seriously, I need to think about couple of things he said. It's right about time! The best speech of the day 7/6

I really like how this event evolve every year. I have to say, best developers conference in Poland. I can't wait to be on DevDay 2014. See you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment